Doors, AC and Fenders



Sorry for being late on this update. Although it may not look like a lot has been done, actually I've been pretty busy.

First things first.. You can tell by the photo below the doors have been reinstalled. That is where most of the work has gone the last few weeks.




Both driver's and passenger's doors were disassembled and the window mechanisms were cleaned, lubricated, and then reinstalled. At the same time the latch and lock mechanisms were also removed, cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled. I know it doesn't sound like much but that's a lot of work.




Both doors also had the hinges cleaned and lubricated. The passenger's door also needed a new spring. One note here. The spring uses a roller which runs along the hinge and helps to lock the door open or half open depending on position. Those rollers are no longer made.. or at least I could not find one.. so I made my own which seems to work just fine. That little task took two days. If you look carefully you can see this roller at the top of the spring.




I then painted the doors and jams in body color. Once finished the doors were installed and aligned. This process is not difficult and was surprisingly easy.




The driver's door received the same treatment.




With that project finished I started mocking up the heat and AC lines. These fittings are not exactly cheap and by the time I'm finished I'll have a couple hundred bucks worth on this car. In most cases you would not use as many as I'm using but I'm hiding the AC (as best as is possible) and routing the lines so they are not obvious takes a bit of ingenuity...and a few extra fittings.




The heater lines will be in the stock location but required a couple 45* fittings to get the angles correct.




Inside the passenger's compartment a couple 90* fittings get the lines pointed in the right direction to connect to the evaporator.




When it comes to the AC lines the compressor is mounted where the power steering pump would normally be (if equipped) and the lines will run from the compressor under the battery tray and through the radiator support.




From there one line goes to the condenser and the other will cross under the condenser (along with the line that exits the condenser) and go through the passenger's fender to the wheel well. The line that exits the condenser will also pass through the dryer before exiting to the wheel well. The dryer will be mounted on the passenger's side of the radiator support. Both lines will continue through the wheel well to the air box and through to the passenger's compartment where they will connect with the evaporator. I can't show this routing yet as I'm waiting for more AC fittings to arrive.


Finally I spent some time this month working on the passenger's front fender.




The inner fender supports were removed and the inside was cleaned and re-coated with undercoating. The headlight area was painted with POR-15 along with the rear area behind the rear splash shield. You may notice that the wheel lip of the fender has been replaced. The original fender was mangled by a tree limb (the same one that damaged the rear section of the roof... see a previous update on that repair). I found a donor fender in a wrecking yard in northern Arizona but it had some damage in the lip area. Knowing this I cut the lip off the old fender and saved it so I could replace the lip on this one. (Sometimes I'm smarter than I look.)




If you look closely at this pic you can see the weld joint just above the lip.




After the patch was welded in place the radio antenna opening was filled along with a couple screw holes where someone screwed the center trim to the fender rather than us the proper plastic mounting piece. Then the fender was epoxy primed. All finish bodywork will be done once the fender is mounted on the car. Trying to add filler when the fender is still able to flex some is just asking for trouble.




Finally the section of the fender that resides inside the engine compartment was painted body color. I will admit that my method of painting this car may seem a bit unconventional. Given that I have no paint booth and limited space painting will indeed require a different approach. I will explain in a future update exactly how I intend to do the finish bodywork and paint so stay tuned.



That's it for this month.....check back often for more updates...





Back to
Polara Home Page